The NBN rollout is in full swing and sparking alot of discussion amongst Sutherland Shire residents. We’ve pulled together this guide to help answer all your questions.
The first part of our guide is a great place to start if you still don’t know what the NBN is and/or why it’s being rolled out.
- What is the National Broadband Network (NBN)?
- What services will be affected by the NBN?
- What is the Multi-Technology Mix?
- What are the different NBN technologies?
- Which NBN connection type is fastest?
- What are the benefits of FTTP over other MTM technology types?
- Can I upgrade my connection to FTTP?
- How much will an upgrade to FTTP cost?
- What are Gbps/Mbps? How do I know what “fast” is?
- Will my NBN100 (100 Mbps) plan allow me to download a 100 MB file in 1 second?
- Can I stay on my existing ADSL connection?
- Can I stay on my existing cable connection?
- Will my distance from the exchange contribute to slow NBN speeds??
- Why did Nbn™ pay $800m for the Optus network and then decide to retire it?
- How will my landline phone be affected after the NBN is installed?
You’ve received a letter from Nbn™ advising the NBN is being rolled out in your neighbourhood but what does that mean? This section focuses on rounding out your knowledge of the NBN leading up to its deployment to your neighbourhood.
- When will NBN be rolled out to my address?
- Which NBN connection type will I get?
- I have a Bigpond / Optus / other ISP email address. Can I keep it on the NBN?
- Will I need to upgrade the wiring at my home to support NBN?
- Will Netflix and Fetch TV work on NBN?
- I don’t need the internet. Can I just get a telephone line?
- Can I keep my existing telephone number when I move to the NBN?
- The NBN is too expensive. What are my options?
- I run a small business and have an EFTPOS machine & fax and/or alarm. Will these continue to operate on the NBN?
The NBN is now available in your neighbourhood. Now begins the tricky part – figuring out what plan you need and which provider to sign up with.
- How much time will I have to move to the NBN?
- Should I move to the NBN immediately?
- Will I be charged for moving to the NBN?
- Do I need to book and pay for the person who installs the NBN equipment?
- Do I need a professional installation from my service provider?
- Which service providers can offer me NBN plans at my Sutherland Shire address?
- Which service provider is best for fast NBN speeds in the Sutherland Shire?
- Which service provider is best for unlimited plans in the Sutherland Shire?
- Which speed tier is best for my home?
- Can I get faster than 100 Mbps?
- Which data allowance should I sign up for?
- Should I get a no contract plan or a 2 year plan?
- Why does NBN performance vary from one service provider to the next?
- Will my old modem work with NBN? If not, what kind of modem will I need?
- Can I rely on the ACCC speed report to help me identify a service provider with fast speeds?
After months of anticipation, your home has finally been connected to the NBN. Many Australians enjoy an immediate improvement in internet speeds however an unlucky few run into problems.
- I have problems with my NBN connection. What do I do?
- Why do I get slow NBN speeds during the evenings?
- Why don’t ISPs buy enough bandwidth for us if they are selling us 100 Mbps plans?
- I just got FTTN and my speed is lower than 12Mbps. What can I do?
- How do I raise a complaint about my NBN connection with my service provider?
- How do I contact Nbn™ to complain?
- My business has been disadvantaged because of my NBN problems. What can I do?
- How do I claim compensation?
- What kind of compensations can I claim?
- My service provider rejected my claim for compensation. What now?
We take a look at which Sutherland Shire suburbs are getting the best of the NBN as well as those unlucky neighbourhoods that might feel somewhat cheated.